Esta es una receta de mi suegra. This is a family recipe that I got from my mother-in-law, whose nickname is "Lita Min" ("Lita" is familia-slang for "abuelita"). It has been a customary part of our family dinners for decades.
When it is done, the tomato sauce forms a coating on top of the rice. To keep this coating intact, we usually serve the rice directly from the pot, rather than transferring it to a serving bowl. Of course, however you want to do it should be fine.
1½ Tbs Oil 1 Chopped Onion 1 cup Rice 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube 1 8-oz can Tomato Sauce 2 cups Water 1 pinch Cummin Garlic Salt
- In a 2-quart pot, heat the oil and onion over a medium flame.
- Add the rice and stir until light brown.
- Break up the chicken cube and stir it in with the rice.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and water. Add the cummin and sprinkle some garlic salt.
- Turn heat up to high and stir until it boils. Then turn the heat down to simmer, stop stirring, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Do not stir or cover while simmering.
Return to DWISE1's Recipes Page
First uploaded on 2001 August 17.
Last updated on 2011 July 08.